CBD? For the Holidays?
Over the next few weeks I’ll be posting a lot about the upcoming holidays. We have so little to look forward to these days, especially if we are continuing social distancing and only interacting with those in our “pods”. I am thinking quite a bit about how to continue maintaining mental health while still celebrating all of the good things in life. Baked goods and CBD are two of the greats!
Let me first issue a disclaimer….I am NOT a good baker. But I absolutely adore a well-crafted baked good. Give me a piece of cake or cookie and I am a happy camper for the rest of the day. And if that tasty treat includes CBD? Well, that’s just the icing on the cake (pun intended).
How CBD Desserts Can Help
This time of year traditionally is a source of stress. Any opportunity to relax and enjoy the time with family and friends should be taken so keeping calm is key. CBD products can help!
Eating a CBD baked good is much like taking a supplement with a meal. You are consuming beneficial phytocannabinoids along with other important micronutrients. CBD is a fat soluble compound, meaning it dissolves primarily in fats and fatty oils. This breaks CBD down into smaller molecules which are more easily absorbed by the body, therefore acting quickly and more effectively. In other words, one of the ways to increase bioavailability of CBD is to mix it with a high fat snack…..like dessert!
Ok, so now that we’ve explained how CBD works in this tasty edible form, let’s start baking!
CBD Pumpkin Loaf
Pumpkin is my very favorite holiday spice and I believe that just because Halloween has passed doesn’t mean that “pumpkin season” is over.Because CBD starts to evaporate around 320° F to 356° F you must be careful to preserve your CBD while doing the baking. Therefore, this recipe uses CBD in the icing.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Purelix Wellness Orange Tincture
- 1/2 tablespoon Purelix Wellness Lemon Tincture
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a bowl.
- Add baking soda and allow to fizz.
- Beak in eggs.
- Once peak forms add remaining cake ingredients until they’re mixed in.
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper and place the batter inside.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from over and allow to cool.
- After the cake cools begin the icing.
- Melt the coconut oil and coconut butter together at a low temperature.
- Once melted, allow to partially cool (but not harden!)
- Add in CBD oil and stir.
- Pour icing over cooled off loaf. It should harden almost immediately.
CBD Vegan Egg Nog (Veggnog!)
Eggnog is an old-fashioned way to celebrate the season but not everyone can participate in the tradition because of dietary restrictions. Since vegans don’t drink dairy products, I’m sharing this easy recipe that was formulated with our vegan friends in mind.
- 16 oz raw hemp milk
- 4 cups frozen thai coconut meat
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1 Dropperful Purelix Wellness Orange Tincture
- Pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Pinch of nutmeg and/or cinnamon
- Add everything into a blender except the topping you want (cinnamon/nutmeg of both).
- Blend for about 20 seconds, until texture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a cup and add a pinch of the topping you didn’t throw in your Veganogg!
Chocolate Orange Truffles with CBD
Truffles are delicious and decadent. Why not include some CBD goodness with each tasty morsel?
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 315 gr dark chocolate (chopped)
- 4 tbsp butter (chilled, diced)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 2 Dropperfuls Purelix Wellness Orange Tincture
- 2 cups Cocoa powder
- 3 candied orange slices, diced
- In a small saucepan heat the heavy cream until warm to touch, but not boiling. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chopped dark chocolate pieces and butter. Stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar and whisk until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Once the mixture cool and solid, using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, portion the ganache into 12 one ounce portions. Roll the balls between your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Don’t worry if this gets messy. It’s normal!
- Covering these truffles with cocoa powder or candied oranges is easy. Just put the powder or orange pieces in a small bowl and roll around until the ball is completely covered.
Remove from fridge until ready to serve. These treats remain fresh up to three days in the fridge.
CBD Snow Day Mint Drops
Nothing says “Happy Holidays” like candy canes! This recipe is a modern twist on a traditional flavor profile.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 5 teaspoons warm water
- 1 Dropperful Purelix Wellness Mint Tincture
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix butter and white sugar in a large bowl. Continue until texture is smooth.
- Beat egg into mixture.
- Combine salt and flour into mixture.
- Fold in crushed candy canes.
- Roll batter into balls about 1 tablespoon in size.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until firm, around 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute before moving to cooling rack.
- Grab confectioner’s sugar and warm water and whisk together in a small bowl.
- Add in CBD tincture and mix together.
- Dip cooled off balls into mix.
- Roll in more candy cane crumbs, if desired.
Nutella Orange and Cherry Fudge CBD Bites
CBD and Nutella are a particularly copacetic pairing because the both have a naturally earthy flavor. The orange and cherry additions make this dessert sweet and texturally satisfying.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla bean extract
- 8-oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Nutella
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Dropperful Purelix Wellness Orange Tincture
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once skins crack, remove from over and place onto a towel.
- Roll the hazelnuts around to loosen up the skin before transferring to a chopping board and coarsely cutting them.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Lightly butter the parchment paper and set aside.
- Simmer (not boil!) a few inches of water in a pot.
- Place a heatproof bowl onto the pot.
- Combined sweetened condensed milk, organic vanilla bean extract, chocolate, Nutella, butter, chili powder and salt.
- Stir the mixture over heat occasionally until the texture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and toss in hazelnuts, dried cherries and CBD tincture.
- Fold until everything is well-combined.
- Spread evenly into prepared baking pan.
- Let cool and sprinkle with pink Himalayan sea salt.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate for four hours.
- After four hours, remove parchment paper from baking pan and cut up fudge as desired.
- Store in airtight container.
We hope these delicious and healthy sweet treats add joy and relaxation to your holiday season. Bon appetit!